It started after an early breakfast with a trip to the lesotho version of B & Q with Christian, Craig and n'tate Francis one of the maintenance men. They needed bits and pieces to build the shelving in the toilets for the children's personal things like toothbrushes and flannels etc. apart from making it easier for the house mothers there is now a law in the country that orphanages have to have this so Christian was given the task. The hardware shops in Lesotho are similar to ours in cost and items but the quality is very very poor. We spent £70 on silicon, nails, and other sundry hits and when you consider the factory workers earn £100 per month it is no wonder things are a bit rickety and makeshift out here. This project will be the focus of our school's lent project I think.
That done Christian started work and Craig, Steve and I went back into town to buy some food supplies. Alison continued her work sorting out IT issues which seemed to be quite prolific today.
Craig and I wanted to go and try and find the scripture Union centre where we had stayed in 2007 and after an interesting drive up and down a few wrong but incredibly interesting roads we found it and had a look and took some pictures. That was the place that started his and my love for Lesotho .
30 km later we got back home for lunch after which christian hired Craig who is not renowned for his d-I-y skills as his bUilders mate to remove a toilet and a sink and erect shelves. It was certainly an experience for Craig. We had a power cut this afternoon so I took some time sorting out the books out I had brought for the school before checking on the building work and being jumped on by some children.
It has been very humid and sticky today and energy is just sapped from you on days like today so I was quite pleased when christian and Francis asked me to go to the wood yard with Kaybee one of the office men in his truck to pick up more wood. Christian wanted me there as a translator because they have trouble understanding his Slough accent and I was more than happy to oblige. He was a bit shocked by the security guard at the wood yard who was armed with a gun over this shoulder....also at the petrol station when he popped in to buy us all an ice cream where, had I not been there, he would probably still be as Kaybee tried to drive off without him not realising he had got out the car!!!! We bought 5 massive pieces of mdf the size of which apparently you cannot get in the uk and then Kaybee realised he had no rope so we had to buy that and tie it on to the back of the truck. It had to be seen to be believed....
It was a new experience for me today in diy places but an interesting one. During the course of the day we also encountered an accident with a truck containing corn meal and a lorry, we were pulled over by 2 policemen and sent to a 3rd who didn't know why we were pulled over and had a nice chat before sending us on our way and also cooked dinner for us and the Aussies and the Africans in our house. We cooked beef casserole with mash and Yorkshire puddings followed by a cheesecake. I guess after all that it us no wonder that I am early to bed tonight .
Pretty tired but content that the team are feeling fulfilled and doing what the have been asked to do to help Beautiful Gate be the best it can be.
Tomorrow is another day and I am praying for a peaceful night here on my top bunk.
Night all
Jenny xxx
No comments:
Post a Comment