Wednesday, October 26, 2016

A lovely day......

I started the day at 6 when I heard the beep of the vehicle driven by Edward bringing the morning shift into work....at least it wasn't the cockerel at 5. I was de to go to preschool this morning do I set off song the first track at 7.49 and was greeted warmly by the head of pre school and her staff.she already had some of her 40 children of her class in who were practicing writing their names in their handwriting books. Their names are so long it takes them ages and they fill a whole page. At 8.30 all 100 children went into one room for assembly and each of the 3 classes sang me a song. They were lovely. I left soon afterwards as i was aware that my presence was a distraction....they don't see many white people there! 

I came home and hang some washing out before heading to playgroup for the first time. I had heard stories of what was happening there but I was happy to see that activities were taking place although the children were. It playing with very much when I arrived. I offered to go and get the dolls I had brought which I did and they had a wonderful half an hour playing mummies, even the boys wanted to carry the dolls around on their backs.  After snack time which today was a glass of milk and some porridge feeding for the malnourished, we played outside and I got out all the footballs which the children loved. It was quite tiring playing in the 31 degree heat.  At home time for lunch I popped into my old house Khotso 2 and gave a hand there. As we have a big team and there are lots of other long term volunteers I am stepping back from being in a house permanently to avoid overcrowding but I did Some washing up and reading of children to lend a hand.

After lunch shared with the aamerican staff and andrew who managed to find a bowl of pineapple and peaches and 2 forks, I was due to head out to Beautiful Gardens to pick gill up in time for a meeting at 2 so I headed off in the car reminiscing of how when I had first come to Lesotho back in 2007 I would never have dreamt of getting in a car on my own and just driving around alone. I picked her up and popped to the petrol station to buy chocolate and lemonade and Gill was surprised to be greeted by an armed guard. nothing really surprises me anymore, armed guards are on most petrol station forecourts so if you try and drive off they will just shoot you! Simple!

We had a meeting with Bryan and Lindiwe about finances and how we as England and Belgium can aim to finance 1 month of Beautiful Gate by raising £20,000. That is how much it costs to run BG each month. We studied accounts, asked questions and discussed various strategies before it was chapel time at 3 . This happens very Wednesday and the children and staff come in for a little service that consists of Beautiful singing and a story for both the children and the adults. Peter lead it today, he is Lindiwe's South African husband who will be co director and was responsible with ray and sue for the building of Beautiful Gate over 12 years ago. 

Having run out of a few staples and having an hour to spare andrew and I popped into the Maseru mall for some urgent supplies and we hoped to sneak in an ice cream but we were disappointed to find that the Ice cream shop was empty and closed down. I guess there is not much call for Italian ice cream in a 3rd world country. The mall was pretty empty,not many can afford the high furniture prices and other luxuries like stationery and CDs, shoes and clothes that were on sale there and in fact much of the mall Is taken up by government departments like tax offices and the ministry of home affairs .

Shoprite is the super market in this mall and it is pretty down market.......for those of you who know me well you will know that I only do Sainsbury's and Waitrose and Lidl for fun but this is more of an Asda or even worse! Andrew and I bought what we needed and then had a stroll down the Christmas aisle marvelling at the Christmas decorations made by the Chinese which would never pass fire safe regulations in Europe. Tinsel decorationsthat would not have looked out of place in a 1950s house back in England. Feeling a little 1st worldish with our pick n pay (upmarket supermarket) bags for life we paid and found our car again, heading back to Beautiful Gate just before the factories turned out.

I cooked a chilli and jacket spuds for the team who had been giving tea to the little ones and we sat outside under the gazebo enjoying the frogs chorus which I am still listening to at 11.30 at night in bed. Once again there was a magnificent sunset and despitea few clouds there were many stars.

We ended the day with 5 of us playing an American game (redneck life) which caused great hilarity among both the players and the onlookers. It was good to relax after a busy day.

The week is going so quickly. They have almost finished at Beautiful Gardens and tomorrow 3 are going back there to Continue cleaning. I am in school at 7.40 and have been asked to sort out toys in playgroup later....it could be an interesting day as I am teaching at the missionary school in the afternoon. No lesson plans as yet but there will be something in my mind by 1pm tomorrow......I hope!

Need to sleep now...lots more to share about today ncluding howthere was still a jar of d at gif me in the chapel gif coffee time and how I had to hand wash my shirt mid morning as I was wee'don but it was dry by lunchtime but it is neatly midnight and the cockerel will crow at 5 and the horn will beep  at 6 so that's not long.
Night all

Jenny x


No comments:

Post a Comment