Thursday, October 27, 2016

An interesting day with people from 3 continents......

I am not even in bed yet which is a first.....just come in from outside where we had a beautiful dinner of lasagne shared with Lindiwe and peter. I have to say I haven't sat and giggled as much in ages and the evening had an uninvited guest of a locusts which was a bit unpleasant.

The day started with assembly of n school at 7.45. I took some books and pencils over for which they were very grateful and the rest f the team came over to watch the assembly and have a tour of the library and computer room. The head teacher refers to me as their mother which I am not sure I like too much but I am always madevery welcome and have to address the children in the traditional manner at their assembly which takes place at n the playground. As usual the children sang beautifully, recited  a psalm and sang the National Anthem before marching into their classrooms. There are now over four hundred and fifty children in the school and my numbers on my keyboard have just decided not to work!!!!

After hanging all the teams washing out as they went off to clean and deal with the children, I returned to playgroup and made a start clearing and sorting out the toys. I filled a sack either rubbish but didn't manage to sneak it out carefully enough as the ladies throw NOTHING away so at present it is sitting in the office waiting to have permission from the social worker to be thrown away. There is no local recycling centre or even local tip to go to so sometimes we gave to make other arrangements to get rid of our rubbish!

I went off to the American missionary school in the afternoon to teach  six missionary children including three of Anita and Bryan's. Sadly Mercy and faith both had a fever so they were absent. I taught them about Europe and we learnt a little about some of the 51 (numbers are working again) countries and the 24 languages...who knew that?   They were very interested and it was challenging differentiating for 5 year olds and 13 year olds in 1 class but thanks to my iPad and a computer I think I did OK and I knew more about Europe than when I started do I hope they did too.

I popped into the mall to stock up on my favourite cider on my way home and it was great to meet one of the families of a child I had just taught after parking my car. I made a very good mental note of where J gas oarked my car as I was there alone and 90% of all Basotho cars are white like mine and all pretty dirty. I am not good with car recognition at the best of times! I managed to find it again and make it home for playtime which wasn't very exciting today as it was too hot to play outside...it was 37 this afternoon...Beautiful!!!some of the children are still wearing 2 or 3 layers of clothes and the babies are wrapped in blankets. It was health check day today and the nurse was weighing and measuring all the children. It was quite chaotic and there were many baked children running around the place.

Back to the houses at 4 for bath tea and bed and I filled in God one of the younger girls in 'my' house which is always chaotic as they have gave 3 special needs children, some very lively 4 year old boys, a 2year old who will not stop crying and a month old baby..,,15 children in all.....mad!  They had their pap for tea and when our young volunteer returned I bade a hasty retreat and had a 10 minute break on our swing seat on the gazebo outside our volunteer house....it was bliss.

We had prepared lasagnes last night so we only had to prepare potato wedges and salad and by 7 we were sitting outside enjoying supper together. 

I cannot believe it is Friday tomorrow....the week has gone so quickly.  Andrew and I are treating ourselves to lunch out tomorrow at the French cafe...not the classiest place in town but I need to educate him in Basotho ways. Last time I went there I was violently sick due to dehydration but I gave been very good this time and been drinking lots of water. It has been a good day and hopefully our last day will be productive and fun too. The weather has been amazing and the sunsets glorious every night.....

I have made it to bed whilst writing this do I will sign off and get some sleep and see if i Can add a couple of pictures.....if not I will try tomorr w.

Somia hantle....go well....

Jenny x
 

No comments:

Post a Comment