We came home via Parliamentary hill, a great place to view a Maseru from and had a light lunch under the gazebo before heading off, again with Lindi and 2 of the other volunteers on a planned trip to the Local hotel pool. We were quite excited about the chance to cool off and we had donned our swimsuits. Almost predictably there was a sign as we arrived saying 'pool closed'. They were renovating it.....yes I know it is midsummer over here, when else would you renovate a pool? They suggested we try another hotel which has a pool and off we went only to be told sorry. Their pool was too dirty, it was closed. They were right, it was horrible....we wouldn't want to go in it but we persuaded them to at least let us sit by the pool in the sunshine which they eventually agreed to. We all chilled out on a variety of chairs and broken sun beds but I managed a Sunday afternoon doze which was lovely.
We had word that a farewell dinner for Ron and Karen was being planned so we left at 4.30 and went back home to go out to a local Italian (!)for dinner. 14 of us sat down together for a very pleasant meal. There was a huge choice of pasta and pizza etc and I ordered a steak....it was very nice except I ordered it medium rare and I think they showed it some heat for just a few seconds each side. Fortunately it was reasonable quality as I basically ate a lump of raw meat.
When we arrived home about 9 we discovered that my key no longer opened our bedroom door. Maybe it never did and we had always used Nells or maybe the lock had broken. We don't know but Nell's key was locked in the room along with all our clothes, and in fact, everything except what we went out with. Fortunately I had taken my iPad out with us , purely because I locked the room and found I had not put it away and I was too lazy to deal with it before we left, or this blog would remain unwritten....
After much trying of every key, trying to pick the lock, break the door down and break in, we have decided that our room is the safest room inLesotho and we have made up beds in Steve's room .....hopefully when Francis arrives tomorrow at 7 he will work a miracle. We cannot wear today's clothes tomorrow because they were going out clothes and not suitable for working with children, I.e a short skirt (Nell) and a strappy top (me) both of which are frowned upon on campus.....at least our toiletries are in the bathroom so we can shower tomorrow.
There Endeth a frustrating day and it's only day 2. We are all tired so having an earliesh night ready for an early start tomorrow with the hope that it will be less frustrating than today.
Please pray that our room can be opened in the morning with the minimum of fuss and damage...
Love from a hot Lesotho...
Jenny x
No comments:
Post a Comment