Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Another diverse day in Africa

The day dawned hot and sunny and I took Fred, Josh and jane over to school to experience assembly and deliver some books at 7.45 am. The new IT room that was being built in February has come to a halt due to lack of funding but hopefully will resume when school fees are paid in January. We dashed back after a quick tour of the library and IT room to get the children to playgroup in time and then Fred and I spent a happy 45 minutes playing with dolls as the nutty knitters from Swanage had made loads of new dolls clothes which the children thought were amazing,. Margy, the regular American volunteer arrived and Fred joined her and 8 children at a time to learn about colours while Josh took his turn in the baby room where the toddlers and crawlers are developed. I am so impressed how things have come on since my first visit in 2012. The children are developing so well. Jane meanwhile had met the visiting physio therapist and was learning what to do to help the younger doe use needs children
Today was shopping day when the fortnightly cash and carry shop is done and the operations manager had already booked Josh and Fred to help unload the van...a heavy duty task lifting 25kg bags of cornmeal, numerous loaves of bread and everything in between. They had far too much fun doing what was actually quite hard work. They then spent the afternoon delivering the food supplies to the houses , again a pretty tough job especially in 30 degree heat.  To give them strength to do this I took them and in fact all of us into town at lunchtime and we had a KFC Basotho style. We had some shopping to get and they wanted a chance to browse around the locals shops so we had an hour in the pioneer mall which actually is more than enough.  I did treat myself to a rather nice dress which Steve informed me was very african . Well, I did buy it in Africa, and that was my intention. I had to pay full price for it though as it was not in the sale and it set me back a full £5.
 I had to play football and play for me and the boys today as they were lugging supplies around and it was pretty hot out in the playground . I had missed some of the morning play as I had had a meeting about 'time with God' tomorrow where I foolishly am going to direct a little drama about Joseph and his coat of many colours....a story I might know quite well but will be using a number of the children to re-enact it.

The children have loved having Jane take them 1 at a time into the library or liberary as they call it. They love books so much and we're delighted to show off their stickers that they earned for reading the books with her. I know she is going to love the next 3 months that she is staying here, she has really found her feet and is settling into her new role working with th children really well.

Tea time was its normal challenge. I took on the bathing role tonight and as usual got wetter than all the children and then tried to dress my last bathee which was quite amusing. Imagine the scene...... A young 2 1/2 year old boy gets out the bath swaddled in a towel, I dry him and Vaseline him and try and put aNappy on him. Meanwhile he had found his long lost biscuit that he abandoned before getting into the bath and was not letting it go again! He was like a slippery eel but I finally got the nappy on and then had to get the pjs on which was quite difficult either biscuit firmly lodged in his hand. All this whilst being poked, jumped on and having toy cats running up and down my legs, oh yes and whilst cuddling a 3 week old baby and feeding her a bottle of milk. Oh  and did I mention I was being dressed in a straw hat at the time and being jumped on by a persistent 4 year old? Fortunately the 2 children i fed simultaneously after that were in a co-operative mood so that was relatively stress free.

I was not sad to leave the house in the capable hands of the house mother tonight so I could go home and cook for 5 of us....these young men have very healthy appetites you know! I did pop in and see one of my old favourite children who was home after being at a special school in town and was amazed to see how tall he had grown,

I cooked a rather lovely chicken a pasta dish with the help of Steve who had only briefly emerged from the office to day to come and play and we all enjoyed sitting together and sharing stories of the day before jane went off to a Bible study group and the rest of us stayed behind to play 'rednecks' with Bryan, a game involving much hilarity and gave Fred a chance to show off his skills as a comic and mimic which had us all in stitches.   We needed a real chill out evening after a long, hot, tiring day.

Everyone else has slowly drifted off to bed and so I am going to follow. Tomorrow I want to sort out hanging the banners up that our church have made and which I have already given to beautiful Gate. I also have a cast of 1000s to organise for our little play and I want to set Steve on course to sort out some new computers for the teachers in the school and playgroup. Nothing too daunting them? I will of course still be doing the normal day to day stuff and have also been asked to clean some toys which reminds me that our washing machine needs to go on tonight too! A woman's work is never done !

It has been another long and tiring day hit we were repaid tonight with a glorious sunset, the first since we have been here and fortunately we are going to sleep without any rain tonight although looking at the state of the grass I think fortunately might be the wrong word. They do need rain here rather desperately .

Fred is learning the language really quickly but my efforts have not really improved my standard. It just reminds for me to say Sala hantle, which you all now know means stay well.
Can't believe Tomorrow is Wednesday and we are half way through our week.England seems a long way away....
Till tomorrow.......Jenny X X

No comments:

Post a Comment