I drove everyone down Kingsway to see Maseru centre before we went and did some shopping. Being the last Sunday of the month the supermarket was crazily busy and in the end we left Steve standing in a queue at the tills with the trolley while we filled it up. There literally were traffic jams in every aisle and the shelves were emptying. It was too busy to think straight. We ca,e home, got changed and headed across the border to South Africa for lunch. We were at the border when Steve asked me if I had picked up the documentation for the van and I realised I had not so we hoped and prayed that no one asked us for it and they didn't which was a relief. I had visions of not being allowed back into Lesotho and made up all sorts of cunning plans in my head which fortunately we didn't need.
We went to the cabin for lunch, a regular destination when i come out here and enjoyed a wonderful lunch sitting outside in the beautiful garden in the sun. We then headed off to Templehof - the game park for what was my 6th visit. Chris the owner was in fine form and was genuinely pleased to see not only Steve ( he is a rugby fan Afrikaner) but also me. If you have read my previous blogs you will know the history. I had worn my hunters cider bottle top ear rings especially for him and as I had hoped, I had him in the palm of my hand! He took us round his game park but sadly there were no tiny lion cubs to feed or cuddle and the lion was due thus very day. In two weeks time, 3 more lions were due to give birth but we were just a bit too early. I did however get to go in the enclosure with the gorgeous baby lion from February who is now over 8 months old and she is pretty big and took quite a liking to my thigh where I now have teeth marks. The boys came in too and Fred was quite bowled over (literally) by the two lions. It was a great experience for both him and Josh. Steve's legs also were of interest to both lions and Chris had to use his stick once or twice to stop a bite being taken out of Steve's leg. I think we may be the last people to go in the enclosure, they really are getting quite big. The alpha lion, the patriarch of the whole park was looking as regal as ever and was roaring well. His wife was due her cub that night. We took Chris up on his offer of a game drive and liked into the back of his bakkie for a trip around his land where we saw zebra,ostriches and red heart bok who were travelling at speed in a large group. Amazing. The sun ear down on us and the 2 German shepherds who accompanied us in the truck while the 3rd and a jack Russell ran behind us all the way.
We eventually bade our farewells and headed back home across the border where I believe one of my best flip flops must have fallen out of the car when I got out as when I got back to Beautiful Gate I only had one....which made me very sad.
We pulled together a light supper before relaxing with photos, chats and watching an amazing storm which is still blowing around us. They do need rain here and this storm should help, they have had a cold dry winter which is not good for the spring crops.
We are all pretty tired tonight and work starts tomorrow at 8 so none of us will be late to bed I don't think.
We have had a fun day and it always makes me happy when members of a team fall in love with Lesotho and this team really has embraced the country. They are total co rest after just 2 days and that makes it all worthwhile for me.
Anyway my bed is calling.....I will look forward to sharing our first working day tomorrow.
Sleep well
Jenny
No comments:
Post a Comment