Sunday, February 23, 2014

26 hours after saying goodbye, we are home safely

Well as i write this final blog the AFrican sunshine is 5000 miles away!
Actually when we got up yesterday (Saturday) it was quite dull which did make it easier to leave. We set off at about 8 having said our farewells to the Geurinks and all our American friends (old and new) who had come out to bid us goodbye. I hated saying goodbye to  Eli, Faith and Mercy as they are such gorgeous children. Eli had come out with a sentence the night before which had really touched my heart - he said ' Miss Jenny you are a magnet for adventure, I love it when you come out here'.  Little Faith has decided she wants to write a book called 'Adventures with Miss Jenny'.  I never really thought of myself as an adventuresome person but I guess I do like to have fun and take others along with me for the ride!
Anyway we got through the border easily enough and stopped for breakfast in Ladybrand at Living life where we were pleased to be joined by Kristen and her friend. Despite a trip down an unmade I promised the team that they would not be disappointed and they weren't!  After a full English for the boys and a lovely bacon, tomato and mushroom omelette for us with fruit juice and coffee we set off for the long drive home.
As we had plenty of time I wanted to take a different route home through Golden Gate National Park at the very north tip of Lesotho (in south Africa).  This was going to add a couple of hours on to our journey but I had done this route on a couple of previous occasions and knew it would be a good way to end the week.  Sadly the sun was not shining at that point and also sadly we didn't see any zebras which I had been fortunate enough to see on a previous trip but we did see Bison, many different kinds of Buck, a monkey (well a couple of us did) and some other animals which I have yet to identify. The scenery is just amazing and it was a worthwhile detour. We had an uneventful trip up the N3 Motorway after that where the Steves and I all took turns driving and we stopped for a late lunch stop at some services just outside Johannesburg to consume the food we had packed in the morning. Unfortunately the ham and cold meats had been inadvertently left in the fridge but we managed cheese etc.
We took the car back (they didn't seem to notice the chipped screen which had very recently occurred) and had time to do a bit of shopping before meeting up in the Mugg and bean for a snack and a drink before boarding. The flight home was turbulent and full but we all managed a bit of sleep I think.  Barry was there at Heathrow to meet us and it was not long before we were back at home. Poor Stephanie had to find her coach and will have another couple of hours drive and Steve had a drive back to Banbury but we certainly are showered and unpacked and as I write this Dobbo is snoring peacefully!

It has been a wonderful trip - there have been many memories to keep forever. I will try and put a few pictures up on here during the week so pop back to check up until next weekend.  It has been a great team and I know that they all enjoyed themselves.

It is going to be hard to get back to some kind of normality this week - we all have busy weeks ahead but we are left with memories of a happy time together and I am so glad that now 3 more of my friends have caught the 'Lesotho bug' and I am pretty sure this wont be the last time that they will venture to Lesotho. Linda has had a rough time with the altitude and the dust but she has been stoic and has given her all to the children.  We now have to adjust to the temperature which I know wont take long.
Thank you for reading this blog and being part of our adventure.

Look out for pictures but until my next visit.....
Tsamea Hantle and God bless you all.

Jenny x










No comments:

Post a Comment