Saturday, February 15, 2014

Saturday 15th February

We slept well despite the heat and Linda did not get bitten by mosquitos.  We did a tour of Beautiful Gate after a light breakfast and saw the children playing - they came running to us with their arms open which was lovely.  Steve H lost his sunglasses when a little on took a liking to them - he looked cool with them on his head.

After the tour we set off with all the Americans to one of my favorite spots for lunch - The Cabin, where I have been on many occasions. We had a lovely lunch in the sun and did a little bit of shopping.  We went on to Templehof where last year i had bottle-fed a lion cub - I really wanted to share the experience with my friends.  We were in luck - there was a lovely pair of lion clubs who were 6 months old who we were able to cuddle - they were absolutely gorgeous.  We then went on to go in with the year old lions and Dobbo, Linda and I had a cuddle with some rather large lions. Steve H managed to have  a souvenir as he was 'mauled' by a lion and has a scar to prove it.  It's ok it is just  a minor scratch!  We saw wild dogs, monkeys,  springbok, a pregnant lioness and a lion who roared so loudly that everyone jumped back a good 2 feet.  We came home via Ladybrand (I thought of my friend Pam Rogers who loves the name) and bought some supplies.   Crossing the border was less good than yesterday, we had to fill in forms today and we had no pens!!! Yesterday we went in fully equipped with pens and information and they had run out of forms so we didn't have to fill anything in!

On our return we discovered that we had no gas in our house as someone had stolen our gas canister - we have later discovered that the culprit has been found as the community around us had seen someone walking around with a gas canister (not exactly easy to hide really - it was quite a big one!)

The good thing about that was we all de-camped to the Geurinks house where I made 22 'Jenny Cakes' who as most of you will know are Pancakes.  I am normally here over Shrove Tuesday so traditionally I always cook the family pancakes but as Easter is so late this year, I am missing the event but that did not get me out of making them.  I am slowly converting America to English Pancakes bit by bit!

Anyway at this moment (9pm) i am sitting with my English team, Kristen and Bryan out in the evening air, using Kristens computer right near to the router so the wifi is very secure.

It has been a lovely day and it has been very strange to mix my 2 worlds.  I have been to Templehof before (last year it was the sitting on a pig day) and it was such a joy to me to share these beautiful places with my friends.  They loved it. Tomorrow we have an early start as we going to the 8am church service and then going off to a place called Malealea - this is somewhere i have always wanted to go and have never made it so it will be an adventure for us all.

Hope all my English friends are surviving the rain - it is lovely to see blue sky and feel the warmth of the sun on my skin!

Love
Jenny (and the rest of the team who are at this moment discussing mobile phones with Bryan!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment