Saturday, February 25, 2012

Friday - my last day at Beautiful Gate and heading off to the mountains

Sorry there are no pictures on here - it is nearly midnight on Saturday and I have to be up early tomorrow but this is yesterdays blog that I wrote last night......

Wow what day! A perfect end to my time here in Lesotho. I knew we were leaving BG at about lunch time so I planned a late start to playgroup and just to pop in for an hour but i dashed over at 8.20 to give the ladies their gifts I had bought , to discover that one of them was going to be in late so Mme’ Agath was going to be on her own and was keen for me to help! I abandoned my cup of coffee and followed her instructions to collect children from their houses. My little boy who had come in the other day was not ready so I waited for him and had the chance to help the house mother choose his clothes! It is not an easy task trying to find clothes to fit a nearly 6 year old who is a baby and I noticed his clothes had 18 month old labels in them! I carried him to playgroup and collected a few more children on route and there I stayed as the extra member of staff!

It was a bit of a ‘whingy’ morning and one little boy in particular was very tearful. We couldn’t do anything with him and Mme Agath eventually asked me to deal with him! It turned out all he wanted to do was to go to sleep and he fell asleep on my lap as i was kneeling down with him! Another little chap was also in need of a cuddle and he fell asleep standing up leaning on me! Imagine how my legs felt after 20 minutes – they were completely dead. We had our usual morning snacks and I was aware that people were dashing around talking and there had been talk of a farewell ceremony for me but I did not know if that would happen or what it would entail especially as Laury who had been talking about it was still confined to her bed.

At about 10.30 i was told to go and have coffee in the chapel and then on arrival was told to go and sit at the front (without a coffee!). Within minutes the chapel had filled up and everyone started singing and clapping in their beautiful African fashion. Fortunately I had the foresight to give my camera to Tiea who had thrown the camera he was using at me yesterday for the adoption ceremony so I considered him proficient and we had become good pals as well.

The farewell ceremony was moving – it was a bit like a funeral but with me still being  alive as people stood up and said nice things about me! It was difficult to keep track as they were talking to me in Sotho and I had no idea what they were saying but had to look interested and smile and then they were translated into English at which point I understood what was going on. I was appreciated for my energy, my servant like approach and my love for the children and speeches were made by the playgroup leader and by Anita and by Bryan! I was concerned that they would mention my sneezing but fortunately they didn’t! My greatest compliment I think was one from Bryan who said that if the rest of my family were half as much fun as me they were in for a great time in August! And there was me thinking I had been well behaved and terribly ‘English’. It was very beautiful, very moving and very special for me and I was very touched by it all. I was presented with a gift of a beautiful ‘Lesotho’ mug and I know that when they said that I was part of the Beautiful Gate family and would be welcomed back at anytime, they really did mean it. I do feel like I have been there for a long time and am part of the family now and it has been an amazing life changing experience for me. I know when I come back (and I hope to many times) that I will slot in again and just carry on where I left of although I am not expecting people to remember my name! We had pink cake and chocolate cake and then everyone drifted back to work and i went to help feed my children for the last time in Khotos 2. I was quite late arriving having chatted to people and my house mother said that she was already missing me. The children do not understand about people leaving and coming and going so they do not understand that I am going but I kissed them all good bye as they lay down for their afternoon nap.

We got away about 1.30 in 2 cars and i was travelling in the back of the land rover with Elijah. Wow what a ride. I have taken about 200 photos of the journey into the mountains – it reminded me of the first time I entered into the centre of Lesotho! Amazing beauty, awesome open space and wherever you looked little communities of rondevals (round houses) and sheep, goats, donkeys and a surprising number of horses all ridden by people in traditional Basotho blankets and woolly hats! It cooled down considerably as we moved up higher and stopped at one point for an exercise stop at an altitude of 2470 meters – 0ver 7000 feet above sea level – my ears popped a few times.

120 km later and 3 ¾ hours later we arrived at our destination – Semonkong. An out of the way town in the heart of Lesotho! Interesting place – horses tied up, sheep roaming, tin huts selling everything anyone could ever need, long drop toilets dotted around and people buzzing around everywhere doing their daily business! We followed signs to the lodge and eventually drove over a very basic bridge over one of the many little rivers we had seen and came to the lodge! Stunning place – little thatched houses and rondevals (2 of which Princes William and Harry stayed in as the SA owner was quick to point out to me when I said I was English). We spent a while walking by the river and then Nthabiseng and I did the European thing and opened a bottle of wine on our patio and ate some crisps before dinner! We started talking about life the universe and everything and then suddenly realised an hour had gone by and we were already late for our rendezvous time at the restaurant! The restaurant was lovely – very dimly lit and we had a long table. The menu was limited (we were miles away from civilisation after all) but we enjoyed a beautiful steak dinner with wedges and veggies and a bottle of wine between us all for about £20 for the two of us!!!

This is one of the most beautiful places I have visited on the earth and tomorrow morning we are going to hike over the mountains to the highest waterfall in Lesotho so an early night is in order.

This just what I need to end 3 roller coaster weeks in Beautiful Gate. Here there are no babies crying or toddlers demanding attention, no porridge being smeared on my legs and just peace and nature at its best! It is good preparation for my trip to Cape Town which will be busy and fun and it is a chance to reflect on my time here. Nthabiseng and I have had some very interesting conversations in our time together and it feels like we have known each other for years. Tonight she confessed that when she heard I was coming she resented the fact that her solitary time in her room would be invaded and she was not very welcoming to me. I understand that and we have had some serious chats during which time she told me that she has seen me make a difference in people’s lives since I have been here as she saw them before I came and while I was here so she could tell! If this is the case I am truly grateful and my work here is done! I came to make a difference. I came to experience something completely new and out my comfort zone and I have done both! I am so grateful to have had this opportunity and I pray that I will continue to step outside my comfort zone and make a difference in the lives of the people I meet every day! I also know that this is not my last adventure! I know I can do this now – I am wondering what is next....................being an impatient sort of person, I want to know now but I suspect God’s time is different to my time and I will await His guidance  with anticipation and expectancy!

No comments:

Post a Comment