Saturday, February 4, 2012

Physical challenges and sharks tales

Today started early - was woken up at 5.15 to get ready to climb Table Mountain. We had decided to go early to avoid the weekend crowds and also the heat. Dillon who lives here was coming with us and i managed to make some breakfast before we left.  Unfortunately for him, Keegan, Rays other son and his wife Desi were late arriving so we didn't get away till nearly 7.  I say unfortunately for him, because Ray is a stickler for time and was less than impressed at our tardy get away!  The electric gate was refusing to work so we went in Keegan's car to the foot of the mountain and parked - there were already lots of cars there but we parked at the foot of a trail which Dillon told us was an easy path up!  Remind me never to listen to Dillon again. Dillon is 22 and into extreme sports and is supremely fit!!!! By 8.45 my phone was registering 36 degrees in the sun and wow what a sun. No clouds today - a completely clear blue sky which matched the azure ocean which stretched out at our feet.  I was naively expecting some sort of path maybe with tarmac or gravel at the very least that wound its way gently up the mountain which stands at 1086 metres above sea level.How wrong could I be? It was pretty much straight up rocks and loose stones and boulders. 

To say it was a test of physical strength and endurance is probably an understatement, something apparently I am renowned for out here.  (I have been described by members of Ray's family as terribly polite, proper and British - those of you who know me well might want to have a little chuckle at that!).  Anyway many bottles of water later and not a few stops (to admire the view of course) we made it to the summit in just over 2 hours. Everyone on route was encouraging each other and we passed and were massed by all sorts of people, young and old, locals and visitors.  It was good to see people on their way down who could tell us how close we were to the summit. It was when someone told me I was about half way that I wanted to sit down and cry - she was not optimistic - we were in fact over half way by then. Fortunately for me Desi, Keegan's wife is not particularly fit so we kept each other company as the young men sped off in front of us and Ray gallantly stayed in the middle - pride making him want to match his sons but sense and age preventing any shows of superheroism!  He was also carrying the water and some fruit which of course held him back!!!!!

Imagine the feeling on reaching the summit. The views were spectacular. the flora and fauna which the mountain is famous for (over 2000 different flowers in the course of the year) were beautiful and it was so so peaceful. We had a few more steps to climb to take us to the final stage where there is just open space and just one shop and a cafe - totally unspoilt and long may it last.  I had remembered to bring postcards up to post so when my church, school and mum get their postcards I hope they notice the post mark.

I could not help but break into (quiet) song - 'I'm on the top of the world, looking down on creation....'. Honestly it was just awesome, amazing,spectacular - just 'wow'! We found a cosy corner and settled down to peaches. grapes and apples and threw water all over each other to attempt to cool down.

Desi and I had already decided half way up that we were going to take the cable car back down to the bottom but the boys decided they wanted to walk. Ray, being the protective and caring man he is decided he had to come with us girls to look after us (that was his excuse anyway) so the boys set off while we took a look round the shop and admired more of the view.  I saw Robben Island which is somewhere I would like to go one day but is not possible on this trip and it is sobering to think that during his imprisonment Nelson Mandela would have seen this inspiring mountain every day but would not have been able to reach it.  Apparently it is able to be seen 150km away by ships - thats a long way away if you think about it!

The cable car trip down was fast and efficient and a lot easier than walking! However the cable station was at the bottom end of the road and our car was at the top and we had the keys so we had to hike back up the hill to the car which was hard work in the early afternoon heat. We met a British couple who had recently moved to Bath who we chatted to which helped the walk along!  As we got back to the car we saw Dillon literally running down the last metres of the mountain trying to beat us followed by a shattered Keegan who was near to collapse with exhaustion (the 6 year age difference was really beginning to show!)

We drove back home exhausted to jump into the little pool in Ray's garden and Sue had very kindly had lunch prepared for us so all we had to do was dry off and eat - I was starving (or as i put it in my understated British way 'a little peckish'!  Stories told and embellished over lunch we set off to the beach with the children.  There had been a shark spotted in the sea a little while before but fortunately it had gone round the bay to find its lunch so we were able to jump into the sea.  It was very windy as it always is in Fish Hoek and the sand was blowing everywhere which probably explains why as I am sitting in bed writing this now, the bed is quite sandy!!!!  We had a pleasant hour on the beach, Teka (oldest daughter) and I read our books while the boys and Dineo played cricket, then we decided ice creams were in order so we made our way down the beach to find some!   

Eating out in Africa is so cheap and i was amazed to purchase 8 massive ice creams which were delicious for less than £7. Now you try and do that in a seaside town in England this summer!  Suitably refreshed we headed back home to jump back into the pool to remove the sand and then get ready to go to some friends of Ray and Sue's for supper.  Beautiful house and lovely people and we enjoyed a pasta and garlic bread supper.  We didn't have a late night having been up since 5.15 and apparently church is at 8.30 in the morning. I have just noticed it is now well passed midnight so I am guessing I now need to sleep and get ready to enjoy my last day in Cape town before i head up to Lesotho before dawn on Monday!

Hope my UK friends and family are coping with the snow - I can't believe it has come. I had been praying that the snow would not come and prevent my flight but I didn't expect  it to come as soon as I had left!  God is good!!!!!!  Lots of love x

No comments:

Post a Comment