Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Safely in Cape Town

Very impressed that I have eventually managed to connect to the internet too! Phone has been a little intermittent.

Got to heathrow airport after work last night (was it only 24 hours ago?) and waved goodbye to Jo and Steve which was really hard. I suddenly felt terribly alone for a few minutes and wondered what on earth i was doing travelling half way across the world on my own. I soon got over my wobbles by doing some retail therapy and enjoying an early supper in the bar/restaurant at terminal 3!

Anyway the flight was long but not too bad.There was a lot of turbulence over the Sahara desert (apparently) and we rocked up and down between about midnight and 3 a.m.  I think I slept between 3 and 6 so I can't complain.  My travelling companion was a young German lady who had just graduated from Hamburg University and she certainly managed to sleep more than me!

We landed early but sadly my seat had no window so we didn't see a lot of Cape Town as we made our descent. Fortunately passport control was painfree and my luggage arrived quickly.  Ray was there to meet me and I had already managed to quickly change from English winter clothes to Cape Town Summer clothes before I excited the airport. It has been about 30 degrees here today - beautiful.  My first view of Table Mountain brought tears to my eyes and all I have really said today as Ray has driven around Cape Town is 'wow!'

I am now safely installed in  Ray and Sue's house and have met the rest of the family.  Dillon, their youngest son only got home from the US yesterday so the girls are very excited to have him here.  I have played a bit of swingball with Teka (11) and a bit of cricket with Callum who is 2 so that is about my level.  Sat on the balcony for spaghetti bolognese and melk tart and enjoyed watching the sun go down behind the mountains.

Haven't unpacked yet as i wanted to make the most of the warm air - it feels so odd to have shorts and tee-shirt on and feel the warm sun on my wintry arms and legs!  Hopefully tomorrow will be climbing 'The Mountain' as it is affectionately known out here!  Think we may actually climb it reather than take the cable car!

Hope everyone reading this at home is keeping warm.  Thinking of you all x  x

No comments:

Post a Comment