Monday, February 25, 2013

Curry night in lesotho

I think i will start at the end of the day again as i have done once before!  I have just got home from a very unexpected curry night with Bryan and Anita and Maseru's Curry restaurant although it did sell a surprising number of non Indian dishes as well like Greek salad and lamb chops! 

We settled for Sah Gosht, Chicken Tikka masalla and Butter chicken between us so i could compare tastes to England and actually it was pretty good!  Coconut rice was delicious as was the nan bread!
We sat out ont he balcony outside and watched the sunset and it was a wonderful end to my time here (I know i have one day left but it is almost the end).

We then moved on to Lancers Inn which is another nice restaurant for dessert (that is quite a common thing to do here) and again we had 3 choices and just shared them!  Very calorie laden now.

Before that we had gone to look at some furniture shops in the Shopping Mall to get some ideas to take back to England as my local Rotary Club is funding new furniture for the baby houses - the choice is limited but i think they will be able to find something appropriate when the time comes and teh funds are released out here!  I have to get back to the Rotary Club when i return and give them some information and help to get things moving (I also have to attend a charity fundraiser for them the 1st Saturday i am back so that will be exciting!)

Earlier in the day, it has been quite  quiet really!  I am trying to withdraw a little from the children as i know i am goign to miss them so much and they will miss me i think for a few days, then someone else will come along and take my place!  i am used to the voices of 'Me Jenny, Me Jenny' now and it was lovely this afternoon when they got some books out and sat on the grass and asked me to read them to them!  I have so many wonderful memories of the children and for someone who 'doesn't do boys' and 'doesn't do toddlers' I have actually become very attached!  I love working with the boys more than the girls - they are so lovely and take me by the hand and lead me to where they want me to take them!  I have some cute recordings on my phone of individuals singing to me which i will treasure!

I had a couple of fundraising meetings this morning - one with Terps who is the US ambassador - doign waht i do but doing it full time and supported by her church for a year - 6 months out here and 6 months travelling round the US doing speaking engagements!  Sounsd like a great job to me!  Their fundraising is so much bigger than ours, I wish i could get more support in the UK - if anyone has any good contacts and would like me to go and speak anywhere, please let me know!  The other was with Bryan and Kristen who is over here for 2 years supporting Bryan with Admin stuff.  It was good to chat about what we are doing in our countries for BG and how we can move forward together.

And so my day started feeding babies!  I slept deeply and woke up really tired with the threat of a runny nose but that has worn off during the course of the day!  it has been an absolute scorcher today and it was even too hot for me to sit in the sun in the early afternoon - i would not be surprised if it tocuhed 40 today! 

As i sit out here now after my curry I am still pretty warm!  Just have a vest and knee length shorts on and wondering how i am goign to adjust to the English winter as i think it is still pretty cold at home!  have to return to school in the morning as they have asked me to go to assembly so that will be a 7.30 start!  I also have to pack my case tomorrow which will be a challenge and say lots of goodbyes to people.

I still have 2 nights in Cape Town to look forward to which will help me make the transition from 3rd world to 1st world and I am very grateful to Sue and Ray who are allowing me to stay with them before i fly home on Friday night.  It will be strange to be back in the real world again after the world of Beautiful Gate which is a little world on it's own!  There are over a million orphans in lesotho and sometimes the task of helping them can seem impossible but when you here the laughter of one little child who is playing and having fun, you realise that the only way you can make a difference here is by helping them one at a time! 

So long and thank you for reading!  My final blog from my favourite little spot with Mosquitoes, bats and frogs will be this time tomorrow!  Off to bed now to smother myself with some body lotion as my skin has dried out to the point that my toes are actually raw and bleeding!  Think i will need to do lots of rehydrating when i get home!

Love

Jenny x

No comments:

Post a Comment