For a Jenny day in Africa it has been very quiet so sorry to those who are looking for me to entertain you with exciting stories. Sue and I went shopping this morning, dropping Ray off at a meeting on the way. I explorered 'The Food lovers market' and 'Pick and Pay' to buy ingredients for dinner tonight. I planned to make a cheese cake and was looking for cream cheese which i found. When i go tto the till i discovered it was spring onion and chive flavour - that would have made an interesting cheesecake! Anyway eventually at the next supermarket i found some plain cheese and even managed to find mascapone and creme fraiche which was very exciting. Spent the rest of the day washing, hanging clothes on the line and preparing food but managed a quick dip in the little pool when everyone was out this afternoon. I had been instructed that dinner was 6.30 and so in true English style dinner was ready on the dot at 6.30, but i was forgetting I was in AFrica and 2 didnt arrive till 7.15 and then there were 3! Of course there was plenty to go round, anyone who has experienced my cooking will know there was no question! There was absolutely no leftovers so i can only assume that it was tasty enough and everyone said it was like Christmas which indeed it felt like! It was good fun though and i enjoyed being able to do it! I was very impressed that Sue gave me free run of her kitchen, i would have been like a mother hen if a foreigner was in my kitchen cooking a traditional meal! The Yorkshire puddings were a real winner - lots of the family had never had anything quite like it before - especially with meat!
The evening was subdued a little with very sad news from Beautiful Gate concerning 3 young babies but more of that another day. Suffice to say that i think my arrival there is timely as they are going to need lots of love and encouragement in the days to come. I really want to get there now to be honest, even if i know i will have a tough time there - there may well be 3 funerals in my first week.........something i have not experienced before.
I have managed to do lots of maths again with Teka and the smile on her face when she got almost everything right without any help from me was reward enough. I have even managed to print out a number square for her and we almost sussed that out. I was quite sad to realise after doing some maths that I was 38 years older than her! How does that happen when i am only 28? who knows. anyway - its been an odd sort of day. Plans for climbing Lions head - my dream for this week have been dashed so i think tomorrow we are going to go and visit an area of the City i have not yet explored and then i am going to go and visit a friends mum for the afternoon who is African but we hit it off the other day and she is even more English than me at heart and seemed to like me so that will be fun!
Heading off to bed now as it is nearly the bewitching hour of midnight here and looking forward to another night of peaceful slumber before Lineo wakes up for school at just before 7 tomorrow. She is a cutie and i love how she always hugs me goodnight and is so enthusiastic about life. She is, however a typical 8 year old and is quite demanding and drives her mother to despair as many 8 year olds do.
Sleep well and please pray for the staff and children of Beautiful Gate as they face difficult times.
Love
Jenny x
Sounds as if you are having a lovely time up to now but you will have to be strong when you go to Beautiful Gate. Hope your foot is OK now and hasn't had to be amputated!I hope the sun continues to shine on you Jenny as I'm sure you bring sunshine to all those you are with in Africa.Take care Lots of love Linda x
ReplyDelete