Sunday, February 12, 2017

A quiet day and a sociable evening....

We had plans for today but as often happens out here, things change.
We headed off to church this morning and thanks to Nells excellently navigational skills we do don't have to follow anyone. The service was only 90 minutes today but we have to confess all except Fred fell asleep!!
We were planning a trip to the special mountain where all the kings are buried and the cultural village site at the foot of it but we had woken up to torrential rain, which we could have coped with, was there not a huge rally in our part that of the city.  The opposition leaders, all 3 of them, were returning to Maseru today and the was a huge political rally involving 1000s of  people  which made getting home from church nigh on impossible. We  were stuck in an unmoving line of cars so we went back and came a different  route but decided rather than have our picnic as planned we would go into the mall and get some food. We ended up at Barcellos chicken restaurant where Nell and I had eaten earlier in the week because it would have taken us a good hour to get home. Having eaten our lunch there the  traffic had calmed a little and we got home early agfternoon bit too late to go to the mountain. We decided to have a quiet time in. Nell was pretty tired and we lay in the sun for a while, Fred went out for a walk and steve read h book in the shade. At times it was incredibly hot.
Steve and I wandered down to the river and the sewage ponds just behind Beautiful Gate, just to get some fresh air and and exercise and he had actually never explored down there, it was very muddy after the rain and it is lovely to walk through residential areas where people live out their lives, children play barefoot in the mud and seeing a white person is still a rare occasion.
 We had invited the American a dEnglush long term volunteers over after dinner so I though I would make some cakes. With one dozen in the oven and other lot ready to go I worked out that the flour over here did not need baking powder as both batches imploded and were a disaster. Finally I managed to create 2 lots of cup cakes which the volunteers enjoyed under our gazebo. We played UNO and made lots of noise which I hope meant that everyone had a good time.
I am absolutely exhausted and struggling to keep my eyes open so I will say good nigHt and hope you are all well...
We begin our last week tomorrow, where has time gone?
I will say night night now and close my eyes. Till tomorrow..night night xx

No comments:

Post a Comment