The day started with me taking steve over to school as they had been asking all week when he was coming, they had many computers that did not work.inleft him there after addressing the children in assembly and I managed to get back to Beautiful Gate for morning prayers. Steve arrived back about 9 saying he had fixed 5 computers and they wanted us back at 10. I got some things going in playgroup and we wanted back over, not quite knowing what to expect.
They took us into the hall which is really the staff room, it is where their church on Sunday is held, where all the staff had gathered. The children were all at play -400 children relatively unsupervised! They had a little ceremony for us with us sitting at the front like royalty, with speeches, singing and more speeches, saying that we had made such a difference to their school, we had made them one of the best in Lesotho because the children could read books and use computers. It was quite embarrassing and very humbling as teacher after teacher stood up and made a speech. They then presented 'mr dobson' with a Basotho hat which he had to wear for the rest of the ceremony. We felt we didn't deserve such gratefulness but their words were meaningful and heartfelt and expressed what they felt. it was a humbling experience and then we were asked to say a few words so Steve, in true steve form, pushed me to my feet and said 'say something'. They then sang more songs and we had to shake hands with everyone and then everyone surrounded us for photos . I did actually feel a little like royalty, having to smile and nod and accept speeches, it is not something that we are really accustomed to. We finally left having paid a visit to the school tuck shop where we bought some freshly baked 'fat cakes', called mequenway (phonetically speaking) which are a bit like a doughnut but much oilier and no jam or sugar. They are basically a deep fried Yorkshire pudding......I took some back to Fred and Nell and gave some away. The teachers later came over with t shirts for us both - they had gone into town to buy them but, in their words, had to get one especially made for Mr Dobson as he is blessed by being big! Being big out here is a good thing, a sign of prosperity and health. It is not unusual for someone to say that you are fat and that is a compliment!
We rejoined normal life after that adventure and spent time playing with the children before lunch and the usual feeding rituals.
The little 2 year old who joined us yesterday was happy at playgroup today, she is very sociable and was happily playing with the other children. I did some ball catching and throwing with a small group and she was really good at that.
Our lunch time was spent with lindiwe and peter as we won't be seeing much of them as they leave tomorrow to take their little boy to her mums before she departs on Monday for her 3 week trip with Bryan to the US and then on to the UK.
I spent the afternoon with two little boys who both wanted to read. Part of me felt I should share my time more liberally with the other children but they were so happy and so keen to look at books I spent a full half hour with them after pumping up all the footballs and rugby balls. I sometimes wonder if I am the only person who does it as they are always flat when I arrive.
Back at the house for supper and bed I realised I had forgotten to pick something up so I popped back home, taking one of the older boys with me.....when I say older, he is 4. We came home together and he had a little look around, totally in awe of everything I showed him.
When we returned, another little boy whispered something to me which I couldn't understand. I asked the house mother to translate and he was saying...'me' jenny...I want to go to America too.' The children were quite convinced that my house was in America, I know it is across the pond from the children's houses but I could not even begin to explain about America being a different continent. What does that mean to a little lad who has only had experience of living in an orphanage all his life.
Nell and I discussed how hard it will be tomorrow to say goodbye for the last time to the children in our house, we have both grown to love them so much. It must be so hard for them to have people come into their lives for a short time and then just disappear again. I am sure the older children remember me each time but there are always different children, some have come and some have gone and it must be very hard to try and make sense of with their limited knowledge of the world. These children have mostly never seen a boat, a train, an aeroplane or even a bus other than their minibus. They have no idea how big an elephant is compared to a mouse or how tall a giraffe is...8ts hard for us to imagine. In fact thinking about it, these children have never climbed a flight of stairs, as all but a few step, everything is on the same level..... it must be.a huge culture shock when they are adopted yet they all seem to thrive. The wall of photos from adoptive families is forever growing and the children look happy and healthy. Anita and Bryan's children have adapted so well to 'normal' life, children are very resilient little beings and I think our children western world or in the 1st world could learn a lot. I will find it very hard to cope with the moans and groans of children and parents when I get back to school when something doesn't quite go their way.
Anyway enough putting the world to rights. Time for sleep.
Thank you for reading this. Please pray for a little baby who we are expecting in tomorrow...it is not yet born but if it is born healthy it will be with us tomorrow night. Sad story, but one I cannot share on here, it will have to be face to face.....
Lots of love from all of us.
Jenny x
No comments:
Post a Comment