Friday, February 17, 2017

Last day at Beautiful Gate...

It's been a very long day but a very interesting one. We started off by driving a 40 minute journey to Thaba Bosiu, the home of the kings mountain where the kings are buried. We are going to hike up it tomorrow, so more details then.
Our reason was we had an appointment at Sentebale pronounced centre bar lay out here which means forget me not. It took us a little while to find it because although it was signposted and it said next right, we were looking for a road....how very English of us. It was actually down a dirt track but what a place!it is beautiful, built right under the sacred mountain which marked the birth place of the Basotho people. It is the flagship centre of Prince Harry's charity and is used for camps for HIV children to get away and meet each other and learn how to cope with their disease. In order for non HIV children not to feel left out they also run lots of projects for them too and also education for the herd boys who from the age of 8 are herding their family sheep and cows for 12 hours a day. We met with the social development manager who I expected to be a woman and was very surprised when a man appeared and we had a lot long conversstion about their  charity and about Beautiful Gate who he is keen to visit. I hope I was a good enough ambassador for Beautiful Gate, I would love an ongoing partnership between them. We were shown round the site by the program manager who lives a stones throw from Beautiful Gate and were so impressed. Prince Harry and the prince of Lesotho have done a great job and it was great to hear how the work is changing the lives of young people in Lesotho.
 It only took us half an hour to get home and we were in time for the farewell ceremony of kB, a long service guy who has given so much to BG since before it was even thought of,, a great friend of Ray and Sue's who founded BG. There were many speeches including one from me as we presented him with the Union Flag hat for the winter, as well as lots of singing and prayers. Finally after 90  minutes we went up to our gazebo where I helped to serve meat, pap and chakalakah to everyone......these people eat so much! I was giving out proper English sized portions but she told mE off for not giving them enough...wow pap is so filling too and it kind of settles in your stomach, weighing heavily. During this time the water went off so we couldn't do any washing up, they managed to get the reserve tank working and Anita managed to wash up about 50 plates with the reserve water tank. Luckily the water came back on in the evening and I managed to have a Shower that was not rain water. The tank overflowed outside our house though and all the local children came to dance in the cold water...it was quite tempting I have to admit.
 After lunch was lastplay time and feeding time and Nell and I had to say gooodbye to our lovely babies and children.we have both fallen in love with the same children . There is a part of me that hopes never to see them again, because it would mean they  have gone to forever homes, but on the other hand, I cannot bear the thought of not seeing them again.....especially the 2 we have fallen in love with. Fred had to say goodbye to his children too and managed to get them all to pose for a perfect photo...didn't even attempt it with our children!
We had a quiet evening in, disrupted only by Fred going off to the petrol station shop with a lovely young Basotho volunteer who took him home afterwards . I was beginning to worry when he wasn't home by sunset but he was taken to see his house which is literally 1 room with a bed and a stove which he shared with his  brother who is a few years younger. It kind of puts your problems into perspective..we had a bit of a contretemps with the security guard who didn't want to let Fred and the volunteer back in and was wielding his stick. I tried my best to calm the situation  but sent for steve in case things got nasty which they didn't. It's very difficult to have a discussion when you don't speak the language and he clearly can only speak English when he wants to!
We are all pretty tired tonight having done our last day's work so I was glad we had a chicken casserole in the slow cooker which meant I did. It have to cook, it was a lovely meal but we were still quite full from lunch which was quite huge.
We have started our packing tonight as we have a fun day planned tomorrow and the we leave here on Sunday morning for the first leg of our journey. 
It's been a good day but a tiring one. The new baby I spoke of has not come in, which worries me a little. Maybe there was a complication At birth....I don't know. I am sure I will hear in due course.
As I lie down to sleep tonight in my comfy bunk bed with the fan on, I am so aware that around me are so many people with no power in their houses, no running water, not even a bed, and who maybe are living in fear.  It reminds me that we should not take anything for granted but to be thankful for everything that we have.  I am 
nearly at the end of my blogs now. Thank you for reading. 2 more and I will be home....but now I am falling asleep....
Much love
Jenny xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment