Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sunday - a Day of rest - Yes really!!!


Well it is 7.30pm in the Uk as i start to write and 9.30pm and my friends will be surprised to know that i am going to go to sleep shortly!

The altitude is really taking it’s toll today and I am shattered – probably because we have had a really relaxing day.

Church was at 8.30 this morning so we left about 8.10.  It was good – the same Church as I went to last February – Maseru United.  I had briefly forgotten the African style and we arrived at about 8.30 and there were very few there, I was surprised.  By 8.45 the church was filling up and by 9 they had to get extra chairs in!  Lots of lovely singing and a long sermon but really good and inspiring.

After Church we went to get groceries and i was entrusted with the Toyota Camry keys to get us girls to the supermarket.  I had briefly forgotten it was an automatic so i had to stop for a moment to get my head round which pedal was which but it soon came back to me and we shopped successfully. It was good to get some groceries in for myself. The girls had really kindly bought me some basics but I always like going shopping for food anyway and it is always lots of fun in another country. I have got enough food now for the week probably and longer if we all pool our resources.

I had offered to cook a roast dinner tonight for the 4 of us in our house so i bought all the ingredients for that. Was hoping for roast chicken but there were no chickens in the supermarket – in fact the only joint they had was beef so i bought that instead. More about that later.

It was decided that we have a lazy day as it had been a stressful week for everyone so i took my book up to my favourite spot underneath a big tree, took a blanket because by now the morning rain had stopped and the sun was peeping through the clouds and read. It was not long till i was asleep and i just woke up to go and get some sun lotion on as it got hotter as the afternoon went on.

I started preparing dinner then heard the children out to play so popped in to see some of the ones who i had not yet seen inbetween boiling potatoes and peeling carrots.

I decided to make Yorkshire puddings and leeks in cheese sauce. All was going well until i heard a bang from inside the oven and the pyrex dish i had the leeks in had exploded!  Fortunately i managed to save most of the leeks as it was a clean break but getting it out the oven resulted in burnt fingers. Of course being a first aider i knew exactly what to do – run your fingers under cold water for a long time. Yes right – thats ok in the UK when the cold tap produces cold water but here is it pretty tepid. Fortunately again i had just sorted the fridge out and taken some things out which were iced up so there was a block of ice sitting on the side which soon melted when my burnt fingers touched them. No lasting damage, just a slightly sore thumb and dinner eventually tasted good although the Yorkshire puddings were slightly interesting – a bit heavier than the usual but the rose at the last minute for me.

Mercy and Faith had invited us in to watch Ratatouille after dinner, the others had seen it recently so i went along and again my friends will know what happens when i watch a film!  Yes of course i fell asleep!  Can’t believe how much i am sleeping.  Maybe i need to have a bedroom a mile up in the sky at home so i can sleep in high altitude!

 

Anyway a relaxing and restful day before a Monday morning. I will be up early to start in playgroup at 8 in the morning and I look forward to that.  I need to plan the week head otherwise it will go all too quickly and i have to get over to the school at some point. It is Faiths birthday on Thursday so i think we are planning something special for her for that so that may take a day out of the week. I will await details.

I hear there is snow in England right now and i cannot imagine it.  We woke to dull clouds this morning and there was a little rain in church and just after but since lunchtime it has been beautiful.

The baby who came out of hospital yesterday is doing well and we have yet to hear about the one still in but hopefully he will be out before the end of the week.

Hitting the ground running tomorrow so grateful for such a relaxing day today. Praying that the children keep well now and the nursing staff will feel refreshed after their weekend off – Anita and Christina have done sterling work with rehydrations and medications.

Am hoping i will have enough internet somewhere to post this tonight – am writing it in word as my house is probably the only place without good internet!  Steve needs to get back here and sort it! Everywhere else is brilliant!

Enjoy the snow if you have it

Jenny x

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for card just arrived. Glad all is going well
    M x

    ReplyDelete