Saturday, February 7, 2015

Back home after an amazing time away

Clarens  really lived up to expectations.  You will be pleased to l know I now have my glasses back...I revisited the pizzeria this morning and they had them safely...phew.  We got up at about 7.30...well I did, everyone else was up and we wow'd at the amazing view from our balcony I tried to insert a picture....but it failed to publish with a picture in it....sorry.

We drove into town and parked the car near the coffee shop where we indulged in lively fresh coffee and croissants, we bought the last ones in the shop.  We then played on the grass while we ate breakfast and browsed round the amazing array of local shops selling crafts, clothes, gifts....everything.  There was 1 shop which had postcards and a beautiful dress for a silly price so I though I would go back there later and when I did, it was closed so I was really disappointed about that.  There was no power in many places on and off during the day but lots of places had their own generators so live music came out of the doorways to cafes,  beautiful smells ranging from spices in the deli to bath salts in the bath shop and candles in the candle shop assailed our senses and it wa musts one of the most beautiful places I have visited .  It was a very gentle and restful day with no rush, no stress and o time pressures. Anita and the girls had pedicures as an early birthday treat for faith . Dud fortunately they only had space for 3 bookings, not that I would have had a pedicure....my feet are really not fit to be touched having worn flip flops for over 2 weeks, but I was happy to browse the shops and bought lots of little gifts for friends and enjoy the ambience.  It didn't feel like Africa (apart from the lack of power and the random closing of shops),we could have been anywhere in Europe or even England  for that matter.. In every shop, English music played out and I sang along to ed Sheeran, john Denver,Simon and garfunkel and many others. Over lunch in an little outside cafe, Bryan Anita and I people watched and tried to guess the nAtionalities who walked passed us....some were easy like the Afrikaans and Basotho but there were many others...I didn't actually spot any English although I think I heard an English accent in the little Kraft brewery which is there and brews and sells English ale and pineapple cider!!It is a Must to take Steve and any other teams next time.  Due to the lack of electricity no chips or wedges could be served with our lunch but  they didn't tell us until we actually started to order.  Fortunately for me my salad didn't need electricity and the steak strips were fried.   The poor kids had to have their chicken and a burger with salad rather than the promised chips!!

We left about 4.30 and drove back to Ladybrand for a Chinese....again a quirky little restaurant where we sAt outside and they had no electricity either...it was put throughout most of south africa today apparently. We had to laugh at the hygiene of the place.  There were puppies running around freely and one got up on the table next to us and was licking the tablecloth before lying on it. The next customers would have had no idea that their tablecloth had been cleaned by the dog. Needless to say we didn't touch any food that fell on to our table cloth. We were sat under the shade of a grape vine and sometimes bits would fall on us, presumably bits that were being pecked off by the birds.
The border was floodlit by generators and there was a beautiful sunset As we drove back into Lesotho where fortunately we hAve power....I hope it continues . I have had a quiet evening as there is no one at home tonight so I have sat quietly and chilled...tried to call both my daughters but neither were answering but did manage a face time call with Steve who had been watching the rugby.

I am going to head for an earliesh night.....I am sure tomorrow will hold another adventure. The sun has shone  for every moment of daylight for the last week. I cannot imagine you sitting at home with your heaters and jumpers on while I am baking.my dirty feet and I are going to climb under the sheet and wait for dawn to bring a other day of sunshine and warmth.
Lots of love
Jenny x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment