Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Tuesday night's blog but for some reason it didn't publish last night.....

Today dawned as usual ...hot and sunny. The weather forecast for tomorrow is 29! it said 26 today but even me as a sun worshipper could not sit out in it today it was just burning. My legs look like red sticks now, especially the backs, must ply more sunscreen behind the knees tomorrow. 
Anyway I had asked Anita if I could go and see the missionary school so I went off with her lovely kids this morning to their school which is a little house not far from the border bought and adapted by 2 sisters who are teachers from the US who are self funded volunteers and have given up their jobs to serve as teachers to the local missionary children of which there are 7 at the moment. It is really well set up and I was very impressed. They don't however,  teach any music so guess what I will be doing next week?....got to give that some thought.

I then returned and could put off the moment no longer when I had to seal Christian's shelving units with a mix of wood glue and water.  I went poking about the maintenance shed much to the chagrin of the maintenance men whose territory it is....certainly no place for a woman to be poking around . I was looking for the roller I washed last week and left to dry on the sink. Couldn't find it anywhere so had to ask and it was eventually found inside an old disused fridge.....well why wouldn't it be?

I made a good start on  2 but had to do lots of clearing because the shelves were already put to use. It reminded me that Steve always says about me ' give her a flat surface and she will fill it'.  2 down, 2 to go I stopped for a break and the daughter of one of the teachers above mentioned who volunteers at Beautiful Gate said she had never been allowed to do jobs like that so I gave her a quick lesson and between us we finished them by lunchtime.

Rather than go into my baby house at lunch time I carried on in maintenance mode and did a bit of work on the mural that my team had painted in 2012. Since then a new fuse box had been fitted which had spoilt part of it so I renovated the  bit that had been damaged.  It now has our name and flag back up there again but not as professionally as before.

After my lunch when I really had to sit in the shade it was afternoon play and I focussed on my two little cerebral palsy children.  One, the little boy who is 3 has one leg longer than the other and can only walk with hands held going sideways a bit like a crab. I am trying to encourage him to straighten his other leg and strengthen his hips. He is a heavy little boy which doesn't help.the little girl is going well though and loves walking around with her walking frame. If only I could teach her to use it on her own, she just hasn't got the idea of putting her weight behind it.

Dinner time was interesting.  The house mother was busy putting shopping away so I offered to bath the children..... I am not sure who got the wettest hit that was ok.  Dinner was a log time coming so the children were getting a bit restless so I was making io songs for them about their names.  No lender I am confused....in a house of an children there are 2 thabo's and twin boys (fortunately not identical with really similar names.  I have Sussed the names out now and can identify each by name when we are in the house.... Not among everyone else though.  Today was bread and saucy pasta and sausage which went down well, except one who really only wanted baby food. I left him to the house mother because he was clearly don't happy and I took on a lovely little podge whose name I am not even going to try to write....its long though. He devoured his quickly and cleanly. Some of the children were a little naughty this evening and one of the twins was into smacking me, trying to bite me, and throwing his chair.little thabo wanted to pull all my hair out and grab me with his quite sharp nails, the baby was crying and one little chap  was refusing to eat, putting his head in every direction but towards his food. It was less than easy so it was with some relief that at 5.30 all were fed and I could go home. Dinner for the 4 commonwealth nations was my job tonight and I had bought some steak earlier in the week which Allen fried while I prepared garlic mushrooms and salady bits. With forethought I had made potato wedges at lunch time and left instructions to turn the oven on early so they were done and it was all rather lovely. I went along with the others to the bible study group tonight  which fatally involved watching a film.  Anyone who knows me knows that watching a film is bad news for me because within minutes I was asleep.   Sleep comes easily in Lesotho. I am sleeping at least 8 hours a night, I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat in the sunshine or the shade and have no problem going to bed at 10....albeit it write my blog but I do need a lot more sleep. Maybe it's the altitude , or the physical work or the heat...whatever it is I have no problem sleeping even with the noise of frogs outside my room.  Just now as I was writing this, I swear I heard a grasshopper in my room. I am hoping I was wrong because the knowledge of that might just keep me awake......

I popped into pre school today to see my friend Florence, the ex head teacher and she was moaning about her work conditions. There is a big hoard meeting next week at which I feel she will be very vocal. I am going in to work with her on Thursday. My head teacher messaged me today and said if I have a tan I am not allowed back to school so looking at the colour of my legs and feet, maybe I should just stay out here  as I may not have a job when I get back!!!

So that is my day....I have seen various pictures of snow at home today. People love seeing them so please co time to send them to me. It is hard to imagine cold right now although last night felt chilly enough for me to pull the sheet over my bed. The guard has shut the gAte  tonight so I have opened my window which is a relief, not that much air is coming in, it is a very still, balmy night with a full moon shining down.  I have spotted the southern cross and that is always so amazing....we cannot see it from our northern position just as down here they cannot see the North Star ......it makes you realise just how big the universe is and how small we are.....

On that note I will say good night......tsale hantle.......stay well and thank you for your thoughts and prayers and messages....they mean a lot..


Love
Jenny xx

No comments:

Post a Comment