Today has been 32 in the shade and I believe it has reached over 40 in the sun. At lunch time I sat out in the shade but my feet were I the sun and I could actually see them blistering. As I told the GB girls in my email to them earlier today , you could easily fry an egg on the pavement. Moribe from the office saw me tonight and said m'e' Jenny you are almost as black as me (and he wasn't talking about my dirty feet).
Today has been a normal day ...I have worked in playgroup and got the duplo out this morning followed by some cars and road rugs. After snack time we played on the roundabout and for 40 minutes I was singlehandedly pushing 2 lots of 4 children round in the blistering heat. I am pretty sure I have lost some weight since I have been here.
Just before lunch I had a shout from the office to tell me that Kaybee and his wife were here to see me. I had been awaiting to hear from them since I arrived and they messaged this morning to say they would pop in. It was lovely to see them and their 3 month old baby Bonolo. Kaybee was our translated and guide when Craig, Jo and I first came in 2007. It is great that we have kept in touch over the years and miles and he is now a 32 year old devoted dad and proud husband. He was the guy who gave Jo and I our Lesotho names...Jo being Palaser meaning flower and me Lerato meaning love.
Everyone out here has a Lesotho name and a christian name and sometimes an English name too. Kaybee is short for Kabeli and his wife is now mama bonolo. I don't know what she was called before but on marriage your i laws choose the name of your first child and you become mama and the the child's name....long before you even think of having children. Boys and girls names are reasonably interchangeable around here but bonolo means soft and tender hearted so I asked what would have happened if they had a boy, would they have called him bonolo? They said no, they would have called him something else but the first born girl would be Bonolo...I wanted to ask what would happen if they didn't have a girl but the language barrier was too difficult.
Anyway work over this afternoon when we played in the sandpit which was a bit messy and had to end with buckets of water.....feeding time done, I came home and awaited the arrival or Peter and Lindiwe from Jo burg. I had promised to cook them a meal on their arrival bit had heard nothing. Bryan came over and said that he had a message that they had broken down about an hour away. Poor them, with a long journeybehind them in the heat with little simpey too but they eventually made it about 8 pm by which time I had eaten but I cooked the. What I hope was a decent meal of pasta and steak with onions, mushrooms and tomatoes. They seemed to enjoy it and we sat and chatted which relaxed them after a traumatic journey. It's good to have them back...the 2 young lads who also live here keep themselves to themselves and don't really indulge much in anything mOre than polite conversation . They probably think living with an English woman old enough to be their mother is less than cool!
Anyway I am tired, it hs been a long day. Thank you for your love and prayers.
Love
Lerato x x x
No comments:
Post a Comment