Anyway this morning .....I was taking the team off to living life, a wonderful quirky Christian run cafe in Ladybrand ...the first town over the border,before they left and so Christian travelled with me to keep me company and we crossed the border for the last time. It was a little busy this Mir I but. Itching too bad and we got to Living Life with no stress to have full English breakfasts for the boys, a breakfast focaccia for me which was actually a full size breakfast pizza and some French toast and fresh fruit for Alison . Annoyingly I had forgotten my coffee as I'd knew they didn't sell decaf but I made do with a lovelyglass of home made fruit juice (in fact I still have not had any coffee today yet). I told the waiter we were in a bit of a rush as they had a plane to catch and give him his due he was as quick as he could be given that everything is cooked fresh to order. Breeakfast done it was time to say goodbye and I admit I was quite so to see them leave. Not because I wanted to go with them, definitely not but because they had been (mostly) good company over the last week and I suddenly realised that I was alone, 8000miles away from home And actually in a different country to my friends at beautiful gate too. I quickly got over that fact, went back to the cafe to pay the bill ( they had very trustingly let us walk out without paying - after all I am a regular now!!!!) , get another drink, pick up a magazine and find a place to sit in the sun. I wish I had taken my book of which I have only read 1 chapter so far!,
I gave myself half an hour before paying and getting back into the landrover and going off to find the spar where Anita needed something from and given me instructions to buy tahini paste to mAke hummus with. I searched the shop in all the obvious places before I had to ask someone who pointed it out to me next to the honey and syrups....well of course that is where it would be! It was with peanut butter which I supposed made sense.
Then back to the border. I don't know if any readers have experienced this but it is quite a strange feeling.......I have crossed the border many times and latterly I have lead groups across it and seen very confident in knowing where to go but doing it on your own is very different.it's funny isn't it how suddenly doing things you are familiar with on your own is all a bit different? The policeman with the gun is suddenly more noticeable and the questions you are asked are suddenly harder to understand . Actually it was all fine and I got over quickly and headed straight for the mall to stock up on some supplies for the week. I treated myself to a little browse and. Ought a couple of things for 'me' before I bought food. Some of the guys here are on a fast of fruit, vegetables and water but I am. Or joining them so I stocked up on some meat and bought a gorgeous loafof pot bread (it was baked in a pot) which came in very useful for tonight's supper cooked by Tyler.
I spent the afternoon doing the teams washing of bedding and towels - each load dried in an hour, going through my emails and chatting with Bryan and Anita in their house, very relaxing, oh yes and little Mercy came and highlighted my nails - they are a delicate shade of green and pink now.
Sadly all has not been relaxing In the city centre today as news came in to us via the grape vine that shots had been fired at a political demonstration. Not many details are in own but tthe election is at the beginning of March and this time before it is always quite volatile with parties on both sides fighting for supremacy...corruption is rife, and things get heated. There is a South African peace keeping force in residence in Lesotho but the Lesotho army is tied in with the government and the exiled general has just returned so I think there will be a little friction and tension around until the election takes place. We feel very safe here, we are a few miles from the centre of the troubled area sod lease don't worry about me. I am pleased I stocked up today with food as I won't need to leave the site again for a while.
Monday tomorrow ....a new week lies ahead. I wonder what it will bring? Who knows but I do know that I need to sleep now. I have been a good girl today and have rung both my mother and my mother in law who were both surprised to hear from me....ain't technology great? It is always good to hear from people....I have had numerous texts all saying the same from one friend in England whose phone for some reason sends me the same message over and over again....every year! My head teacher is emailing me frequently and Steve and the girls communicate some more than Others but all communication is good. It is very quiet here tonight without Steve singing and christian checking out the gate which was his regular smoking place. I have remade my bed on the bottom bunk so no more indelicate belly flops on to the top bunk for me....
Night all
Jenny xxx
No comments:
Post a Comment